Sunday, November 3, 2013

Personality and Effect on Teaching

This week in class, we took a couple different personality tests online.  One of these is the MMDI personality test, which is based on the based on the Myers Briggs theory and produces the same four letter code. 

In the test, there are four pairs of opposites, and the following are my results from answering a series of questions.  I am driven more by facts, practicality, and details, rather than potential and possibilities.  I prefer to make decisions based on objective logic than subjective values.  In addition, I am slightly more introverted than extroverted.  On the last scale, I am balanced between organized/structured and flexible.

After taking this test, I wondered if my personality will affect my relationships with my students.  I believe that preference towards facts would be great for teaching proven concepts in Science.  However, with STEM, I think I have to look outside of the box for creating activities that focus on innovation and creativity.  Science is not stagnant, as new discoveries and new technologies spring forth.  The structure aspect of my personality will be an asset for creating lesson plans that address the nine questions for Planning Targets of Learning.


References

Myers, S. (n.d.). Free Personality Test. Team Technology. Retrieved November 2, 2013, from http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/personality/test/mmdi/

The Video Journal of Education (n.d.). Planning Targets of Learning [video file].  Retrieved November 1, 2013, from http://myonlinelogin.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment